Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Caribou Hunt!

So... Almost 6 months prego, I wasn't sure if I would be up for keeping up with three men out on the tussocky tundra of the North Slope, chasing after caribou. But... knowing that hunting for me may very well look quite diffent in the not-so-distant future, I wanted to take advantage of the opportunity. So... I went. And, aside from having to adjust my pack to sinch below my ever-growing belly, it wasn't half bad! Actually, if I was honest, it almost seemed easier hiking this year as opposed to last - I think mostly due to the fact that I was more mentally prepared for the terrain we were hiking in. It wasn't easy - it never is - but it was totally doable! So, the 4 of us headed out on a grand 6-day adventure. We found that Summer has been hiding on the North Slope these last three months (hardly a cloud in the sky the whole time we were out there!). We went with the intention of taking three caribou - the shooters being Joel, Jayson, and myself, and we all came out successful! The boys were such gentlemen helping me lift my pack and helping to carry out the meat from my 'bou (the midwives said there was no problem backpack hunting with my 45-ish lb. pack so long as someone else helped me lift it to get it on... and that I didn't put much more weight in it than that). For details on the trip and pics of the other caribou, visit Scott's blog at http://www.provingtrail.blogspot.com/.

My 'bou in the foreground after the shot, and Joel's in the background still bedded.

The boys packing a load out halfway to the road, against a most georgous backdrop.

Jayson, well... being Jayson!

Big North Slope Sky.

My guy...

All of us with my guy...

Well, we may have "found Summer" up on the North Slope, but it definitely had the look of Autumn to it...

The goofy bunch...

One tired pup.

No comments:

Post a Comment